søndag 22. januar 2017

Recent chain of events

Hello!

It is time to tell you a little bit about the storyline of American Psycho so far. The chapters are still divided in a way that follows the whereabouts of Patrick Bateman. The amount of time in the story between each chapter also varies; one chapter can be about a Christmas party at Evelyn's place, the next can be about playing squash in May the following year. Because of this, it is hard to find an actual plot in the story. If there would be a plot, it would be the development of the mind and insanity of Bateman.


As I wrote in the last post, Bateman's murderous personality has slowly begun to reveal itself in the book. His days still consists of work at Pierce and Pierce, shopping at Bergdorf's, working out at Xclusive, manicures, facials, lunches and dinners at Manhattan's finest restaurants, and partying at the hottest nightclubs on the populated island. The only thing that has changed is the detailed descriptions of the assaults and murders that he performs more and more frequent. The murders are carried out because of boredom or anger, and I often experience quite unpleasant pictures in my head.

The book is so thrilling and addicting that it is easy to read, and I often read for hours simply because I loose track of time. Even though it is quite horrible and often disgusting, the book constantly makes me want to continue reading and I believe this is the case because I get closer to finding out who Bateman really is for each chapter that I read. I am also extremely curious about how the book will end and I cannot wait until I find out. Will Patrick continue with his violent lifestyle after the book ends, or does he get caught by police? For all I know, he might even kick the bucket.


The difficult thing about the book is to keep track of all the different characters that are involved in the story. Bateman has a lot of acquaintances that are mentioned, some of them only once, and therefore it can be tough to sort out those people in his life that has a value to the story. Since the book was published in 1991, it can also be hard to get all the 90's references. A modern and wealthy lifestyle at that time is not the same of what it would have been today, especially the technology has advanced a lot. I also have to know a great deal about high end fashion, art and design to be able to catch all the references and since I do not have the acquired amount of knowledge about this, it is easy for me to get a bit confused.

Although some things can be tricky to understand, I really enjoy the book and I am excited to know the end.

Adieu!

5 kommentarer:

  1. From your blogging and use of pictures, it's clear this isn't your normal everyday book.. This book is so interesting, both in the way the story reveals it self and the characters. You're doing a great job Astrid, I really want to read this book now (or at least watch the movie, haha).

    SvarSlett
  2. This book is definately on my reading list now, as soon as I reread the Ring Trilogy! Good job on describing such shady character in such a good way! I'm excited to find out more about this Bateman guy! I might not read further posts, as I'm scared of the spoilers, haha! Have fun reading further and I hope tha book won't get too gross for you to stop reading it!

    SvarSlett
  3. Great writing. It will be interesting to see if there will be a plot and if there is, what it will be.

    Keep up the reading and writing, I will definitely keep on reading your blog!

    -Stine

    SvarSlett
  4. I love what you say about the plot basically being what goes on in Bateman's mind, it is a really good observation.

    SvarSlett
  5. Uffda, this book really is messed up, but still it sounds so good. Like Gerardas said this is definitely on my reading list too now. Happy reading!
    - Jonas

    SvarSlett